So it has been a long, glorious, wonderful two weeks bloggies! I would apologize for my absence but I am simply just not sorry that I was having the best week of my life, followed by a solid additional week off. I am back in Webequie now and I am kind of happy to be back and get into the routine. This is probably because I have been away from Jamaica for a full week now. I REALLY REALLY never wanted to leave there and was quite sad when I did. But let's take a step backwards. I hope you have looked at my pictures on facebook, if you haven't...go there first (there are 3 albums!) and then you will know what I'm talking about when I write.
Day 1 of vacation-began Friday March 11. Flew out of Webequie on a fairly uneventful flight..the weather was good, the flight was on time. My trip friend Jennifer and I had our Tim horton's and Mike's Hard Lemonade at the airport to pass the time before the next flight. We got onto our tiny Air Canada Jazz plane and flew to Toronto for an overnight stay at the classiest hotel ever...Travelodge Toronto Airport (note the sarcasm). We spent a short 5 or so hours there.
Day 2- began at 3:45am on Saturday March 12 BLARGH! We went and met Jen (friend from home) at the airport...more tim horton's some sleepy waiting, and we were on our way. We flew on Caribbean Air (they wore colourful, fancy scarves) for about 4 and a half hours. Again, a fairly uneventful flight. Then the real fun started, when we landed in Kingston, Jamaica! Oh no wait. Scratch that. We had a 5 hour layover in the airport and let me just tell you, there is no bigger buzz kill than ALMOST being on vacation but having to wait. We went and found a lounge area and slowly gathered a group of Jamaican young men who had come to talk to and stare at us/watch the soccer game.
After our long wait we boarded Air Jamaica for a 40 minute flight (only 20 minutes in the air) to Montego Bay. We had a bit of confusion at the airport in that there was no shuttle/taxi waiting for us to take us to our resort but we figured that our after a bit of standing, staring and wandering up to counters. "No problem mon!" By the way, that is NOT a stereotype. Everyone in Jamaica really does respond to everything with "No problem Mon" and "Yea Mon". Sometimes they even use it as a greeting. We arrived at our resort in the +35 weather (woo!) just as the sun was setting. Everyone kept telling us to "slow down mon" and insisted upon giving us rum drinks on arrival even though we were all loopy from too much flying and not enough food. The resort staff was lovely and for some reason the young male staff were REALLY eager to help us lol. We had about 5 lovely young men come to our room to put a key in our safe for us. I suppose it was a big job... After all was in order we had dinner and then went to bed early after a long day.
Day 3- Sunday March 13. This is where the real vacation began! We woke up fairly early and went down to dinner. The buffet was pretty good, we would find out that breakfast was definitely the best meal of the day with the most selection. Then we wandered the resort and took in the sights. Here are some of my first observations:
1. I LOVE THIS PLACE. So beautiful, right on the ocean, perfect sunny weather.
2. Everyone in Jamaica just seems happy all the time, I want to live here.
3. My goodness Jamaican men are forward/I feel rather attractive here/I (and my friends) have never felt so stared at in my/our lives.
4. Maybe 60 SPF wasn't high enough..
There aren't too many more highlights from this day since most of it was spent lounging on the beach. I did swim in the ocean for the first time and it was warm and extremely salty! I learned to keep my mouth closed for the rest of the week when swimming in the ocean after getting a serious gulp of salt water. Bleh!
That concludes part one..stay tuned for part two which will involve dolphins and waterfall climbing! Right now I need to catch some Zzz's for teaching tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment