I am currently waiting in the airport for my flight to Paris which will then connect me to Abu Dhabi and "home." With a belly full of Tim Horton's and Canadian air still in my lungs, I thought this a good time to reflect on my first trip back to Canada after being in the UAE for 5 months.
Comfortably, and luckily, everything was pretty much the same or as expected in Hamilton, Toronto and Ottawa. The cold felt a lot colder than it probably should of, especially with my prior experience with -45 to -50 in the North. I had a great trip home, but as always, wished I had more time and wished I could have seen more people. I'll get you all next time :)
As I go back to the UAE I will take with me a refreshed appreciation for a number of things here in Canada. One is the driving. I drove to and from Ottawa, to the airport multiple times and even in downtown Toronto without ANYONE intentionally cutting me off, flashing their lights in my eyes (okay, maybe once, but there are jerks everywhere I suppose) or trying to rear end me. Drivers truly are nicer in Canada. I also enjoyed blending in without anyone looking at me or taking much interest in me when I was out shopping or attempting to buy pasta sauce.
What do I miss about the UAE? My friends, colleagues and students...and also the GAS PRICES. I think I spent around $400 on gas in the two weeks I was home which I probably didn't even spend it in the last 5 months in the UAE. I also miss not having to pay tax. My significant other commented several times on how the taxes here suck even as compared to France and I quite agree. Seeing the price you will pay on the shelf is a blessing.
The absence of significant public religion in Canada is also weird. Not bad, but weird. I am used to everything from signs, city layout and school schedules being based solely around being able to practice Islam at all times. As I look around the airport it is entirely religion free and actually quite homogenous (in the direction of white-anglo). This might be my last time to feel like I blend in for a while, but I think I'm done blending for now. Bring on the weird experiences, stares, parties, palm trees, sweet students, creeps...gimmie what you got UAE, I'm coming back!
We miss you already, our adventurous girl.
ReplyDeleteMaybe the cheap gas there is to make up for putting your life on the line every time you drive. Be careful! We want you back.