Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Half a year down

Today is the 6th month anniversary of my arrival in the UAE. If you have been reading about my adventures since I arrived, you know it has not always been easy. There was definitely a culture shock and even after I got over that, I still find new things to be surprised about every day. So the big question is (and I know its the big question because people ask me it all the time): If I knew then, what I know now-would I have still come?

The answer for me is YES! There are a lot of things about this country and the education system that are not as I thought they would be, true. But it is also true that I came for an adventure, to dive into the unknown, to do something markedly different than I had ever done before-and I have gotten just that. In some ways I have been very lucky, like quickly making a number of friends, settling in nicely with my colleagues and having lots of time to myself to explore the UAE. In some ways I have gotten the short end of the stick, like my slightly slummy apartment, getting so lost-more times than I even care to admit, or my terribly unfortunate luck with travel. Overall, it is an experience that I know I will never forget and that I really would not trade because of the people I have met, the new perspectives I have taken on and what I have learned about teaching.

So in true Karen form, here is a fun list to recap my 6 months here:

You know you're in the the UAE when...

-You see a man casually riding his white horse down the side of the road at 10pm, while talking on his Blackberry as if there is nothing strange about it

-You see someone doing driving a dune buggy through a roundabout on two wheels like it's NBD

-Sunday is a really depressing, shitty day because it is the Monday of the UAE

-Holidays can't be confirmed because the moon hasn't decided yet

-You come to work to find your desk covered in a fine layer of sand because you left the window open for the weekend

-People live in villas on compounds (before here I had only heard those words used in movies!)

-Every single car in the parking lot is white or silver and is a: Cadillac Escalade, Audi, Mercedes or Land Rover (if it's a local hang out) or white and silver: Hyundai Accent, Mazda 2, Peugeot or Civics if it's teachers. If your car is a colour you are super weird and people will look at you funny!

-You see a 4 year old holding an infant out the sunroof of an SUV while parents smile at their hi-jinx from below

-You know or have heard of someone who keeps sedated lions in their backyard just for fun

-The phrase "Insha'Allah" fills you with a quiet, calculated rage

-You have students trying to use prayer as an excuse to get out of class to rome the halls

-You see that a family of 6 (2 adults 4 children) = 4 cars and at least 4 nannies

-You can get your entire house cleaned for $13 Canadian

-You see a student walking down the school hallway with a cage full of canaries, balloons, a giant bouquet of roses and her backpack and think: Hmm..she must have a presentation today...

-You honestly do not expect to see most people's faces or to see men wearing pants

And last but not least:

-When you can say you have felt HOT at least once a day for every day of the last 6 months that you spent here!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome...lol...I love the one about the kid coming to school, seemingly to surprise someone with gifts, but in reality it is her presentation!...And the moon deciding holidays! We need to write a book about this stuff! You already have an excellent head start!

    ReplyDelete