Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Which way to the mosque?

On the weekend I was lucky enough to be able to go see one of the top DJs in the world in Abu Dhabi, David Guetta. There was a crowd of 16,000 in an outdoor arena and it was a fantastic night. For the most part the crowd had a fantastic vibe with only a few fights breaking out, which is pretty good for so many drunk people being so close together. I have mentioned before how no one in this country likes to wait in line and this was no exception at the concert. We were waiting at the gate with a mass of people, assuming they were checking tickets. Actually, they were just letting people in one by one past the first gate. This was taking literally forever, so when the crowd started moving I got excited. I was less excited though, when I started being squished so hard by the crowd I could barely breathe and when we go to the front the security was yelling at us to get back and smashing the metal barriers into people. Luckily my friend and I were able to jump around these guys, but it was a scary situation. I would not put it past the people in this country (who were mostly expats at the concert) to trample each other completely to get in a little faster. Funny, people in the US are getting trampled at Occupy Wall street, people in Syria are getting trampled to fight for their freedom and people in the UAE are getting trampled to get a beer faster inside the gate. Seems about right...

***

While in Abu Dhabi my friend and I decided to visit the grand mosque. This is the largest mosque in the UAE (which is saying something since there are obviously a LOT of mosques in the UAE, in fact it is huge) and inside it has the largest carpet in the world. Here is a photo of the mosque:



See how big that is? Right. I couldn't find it. I drove around in circles in Abu Dhabi for two hours WITH THE USE OF A GPS and still could not find the largest mosque in a Muslim country!!!! I am the such a fail tourist. So I never did make it, I guess my soul won't be saved through Islam. Maybe next time.

***

It is getting closer to summer in the UAE which means DEATHLY hot temperatures, Ramadan and me getting the H -E- double hockey sticks out of here for a few months. I have many options for countries to visit, but I just can't seem to decide. Where do ya'll think I should go? Vote in the poll to the right :)

1 comment: