Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Thursday, September 20, 2012

An Illicit Airport Tale

*This post is for adult eyes only!

Here is a story I've been meaning to tell for a while now. I travelled with a friend who is also a teacher in the UAE, this summer. She decided it was high time she bring back some toys from Canada to the UAE to have a little "adult fun."Sex toys are considered offensive to Islam and therefore are banned from being brought into the country. However, she had heard from MANY people that teachers never get checked at the airport and to just go for it. She totally went for it. Actually no, she stocked up (for it) knowing she would not have access to any such things for a long time coming in the UAE.

We got off the plane and got our luggage, all the while making jokes about her toys being missing with an angry note from security in her suitcase. We collected our luggage and hers appeared untouched, so we celebrated (as much as one can celebrate after a 7 1/2 hour flight, a 12 hour layover, and a 7 1/2 hour flight-again). We walked out towards the doors or the airport and SURPRISE! another customs security check point. Luckily, people seemed to be just waved by the security. I went through first, then my friend and....wait for it...she was randomly selected! Her utter look of terror and foreboding as she went up to the scanner may have tipped them off. I sidled off to the corner in an attempt to watch, without being noticed by security (I was out of earshot-but could still see her).

They started searching through her bags and pulled out a vibrator, looking sternly at her. I watched her with amusement as she mock "massaged" her shoulders with it. The lady just didn't seem to be buying it and put it aside. They continued searching, taking out her 2 bottles of alcohol (AND THEN ALLOWING HER TO KEEP THEM!!! Wth!). The security lady called over another female security guard as she continued searching, and two male security guards watched with mild amusement. My favourite part of the whole illicit event was when the (Muslim) female security guard held up my friend's fluffy, red, handcuffs and just stared at her. At the this point I just saw my friend take a big shrug (can't claim those are for massaging!!) and the security guard shook her heard. By this point I, and the two male, Muslim, Emirati, security guards, were laughing...then they noticed me and kicked me out.

She spent about another 20 minutes in there, which started to freak me out because I thought they might detain her or that she'd be in real trouble. Finally, the sliding doors opened and she took a long walk of shame over to the bench where I was waiting. She spent the next hour and half ride home going back and forth between giggling, being mad because they took her f*cking expensive toys!!, and in disbelief it actually happened to her.

Moral of the story is: "SEXY TOYS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN UAE MA'AM!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment