Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Too much fat

As previously mentioned, I have lost some weight (some of which I gained after I came to the UAE) this year. About 25 pounds lost total, on a good day. I am living a healthier lifestyle and eating better, which makes me feel better. I still have days I eat crappy food and am too tired to exercise, but overall I am doing much better than I used to with the whole healthy lifestyle thing. 

I am doing it for a lot of reasons. I do want to be able to shop in normal sized clothing stores (getting closer!) and I do want to be able to sit comfortably in airplane seats (which has now become a big part of my life). Someday I do want to have babies and I want my body to be a healthy nest for them to grow in. I do want to feel less tired, to not get out of breath when walking up stairs and to be able to push my body past my (perceived) limits--I have actually accomplished these 3 :D But, there's some things I don't want to do. I don't want to become "skinny" or even to be the prescribed weight for someone of my height, gender and age (according to that chart everyone seems to bow to). I like having a curvaceous body, so I am working to improve, not smooth, those curves. 

You may wonder why I'm on a rant about weight loss when it's not something I usually talk about on my blog. I find that weight loss is noticed more often in this country than at home. At work the western teachers I work with are always extremely supportive and comment on my weight loss and how well they think I'm doing. These are people who know and care about me, so it's great when they encourage me. Same goes for my other friends here. What irks me a little is when seemingly random people comment on my weight loss like it's something I have finally done that they have been waiting for. A perfect example occurred yesterday when I was in class, in the middle of teaching a grammar lesson. An Arabic teacher I don't know came to the door and knocked. (We have almost 100 teachers at my school so it's no surprise I didn't know her). I asked her to come in, as they usually knock to come and speak to the students. She came into my class and stood at the front of the room and said "Miss, you have become much less fat. How you lose this kgs?" Her question very much took me off guard and I stumbled for an answer, trying to explain the concept of boot-camp to her in broken english. She said "How much kg you lose?" I told her around 12, not knowing the exact conversion then. She replied "Ahha ok, well you must to keep going, more more! Beautiful face!"I just kind of laughed and she walked out. After much chatter in Arabic from my students, I got the class back on track.

I didn't realize till later how much the situation bothered me. Yes, it was totally inappropriate for her to do that in front of my students and if I was a different person, it would probably really have embarrassed me. But, that wasn't it. It wasn't even the bad translation of telling me I had "become much less fat." Many Arabs in this country are very blunt about topics like weight, so it didn't surprise me to hear her phrase it like this, I have encountered it before. What did bother me was telling me to lose more and that I have "Beautiful face!" Yes, I want to lose more, but it's not about simply looking nicer and certainly not for you, lady. Yes, I have a beautiful face. I also have a lovely smile, nice hair, a kickin' booty, lovely eyes.....I could go on but this list is probably getting awkward. The point is, I do not believe that losing weight will make me more beautiful. It won't make me a better person. Won't make me more popular or help me advance in my career. It will allow me for a healthier, more comfortable life-so that is why I'm doing it.

Today I went into my other class and one of my students who could be considered curvy (possibly what I looked like in high school) said, "Miss, do you think I'm fat?!" The whole class quieted to listen. I laughed and said, "No, I think you are a beautiful young woman!" She said, "Oh, thank you Miss, everyone keeps telling me I am too much fat!" I said, "Well, what do you think about yourself?" She said, "I think I am wonderful!!!" and did a little twirl. I replied, "I think you are right. It only matters how you feel inside about yourself. Never let anyone tell you what to think about your own body." At this she ran toward and gave me a jump-hug and then sat down, beaming. I realized that I really used to care if people thought I was fat. I used to cry to my Mom when other kids teased me. The truth is, everyone grows up and we all have things we don't like about ourselves. I choose to focus on what I do like and try to fix what I don't. I can only hope this young woman will someday come to the same conclusion and be totally happy with herself and in her own skin.

As a last thought, a friend posted this link on facebook this morning about a news anchor woman who gets called obese by a viewer in an email and addresses it live on the air. I will leave you with that.

1 comment: