Last night I went to the movies to see A Good Day to Die Hard. It was a fun truck-flipping romp in the city, but part of my movie-going experience was totally ruined by the Emirati dudes who talked through the whole movie behind me. They even raised their voices to a yell during the louder action parts to make sure they could still talk? I don't want to say that this ridiculous behaviour is an "Emirati thing" because there were many other Emiratis in the theatre quietly watching the movie, getting just as pissed off as me at the two fools. It makes me wonder how the type of assholey arrogance is developed that you think it's okay to ruin an experience for 60 people just so you can chat. Go to fucking Starbucks!
***
Yesterday I had a movie day for my students in the last two periods of the day. We watched the Disney movie Tangled, about Rapunzel. They always love this movie because it's about a sheltered girl with long hair who takes on the world and falls in love (what they dream their future will be like). It was so cute watching these 16 year old girls all curled up on beanbag chairs together giggling and ooohhh and ahhhhing at the animated male character. It got me thinking about how because these girls are so sheltered (innocent) it keeps then extra young, for extra long. I'd compare their maturity and knowledge level to that of most 12-13 year olds even though they are 16-18. This is the same here across the board generally, with a few exceptions. It does disturb me to think that when some of these girls graduate and leave highschool in a few years, they will be married immediately, some to older men and likely be expected to have children right away. This is literally the definition of babies having babies..I just don't get it. Perhaps this is why I'm not so hard on them at school. I want them to be giggly school-girls for as long as possible.
***
A few days ago my student stopped me in the hallway and we had the following conversation:
"Miss, can you be orange?"-Student
"Ummm....what?"- Karen
"Can you be orange. I mean, I like you and I like orange, so if you be orange I'd like you even more."-Student
"Oh, you want me to wear orange?"-Karen
"Yes, be orange tomorrow."-Student
"Well, I don't know if I have much orange, but I can try."-Karen
"Good, because you are white. So the orange will make you look more white and good." -Student
"Okay?"-Karen
***
Student comes up to me in the classroom:
"Miss, what is a DICK?"
"Uhh...pardon me?"
"A DICK Miss. Dick!"
"Ummm....Can you use it in a sentence?"
"Okay. I like to walk on the big dick to get to my boat"
"OHHHHHHH! DECK. D-EEEE-CK! It is a walkway that floats on water, usually made of wood" (sort of)
*Phew!*
***
***
Yesterday I had a movie day for my students in the last two periods of the day. We watched the Disney movie Tangled, about Rapunzel. They always love this movie because it's about a sheltered girl with long hair who takes on the world and falls in love (what they dream their future will be like). It was so cute watching these 16 year old girls all curled up on beanbag chairs together giggling and ooohhh and ahhhhing at the animated male character. It got me thinking about how because these girls are so sheltered (innocent) it keeps then extra young, for extra long. I'd compare their maturity and knowledge level to that of most 12-13 year olds even though they are 16-18. This is the same here across the board generally, with a few exceptions. It does disturb me to think that when some of these girls graduate and leave highschool in a few years, they will be married immediately, some to older men and likely be expected to have children right away. This is literally the definition of babies having babies..I just don't get it. Perhaps this is why I'm not so hard on them at school. I want them to be giggly school-girls for as long as possible.
***
A few days ago my student stopped me in the hallway and we had the following conversation:
"Miss, can you be orange?"-Student
"Ummm....what?"- Karen
"Can you be orange. I mean, I like you and I like orange, so if you be orange I'd like you even more."-Student
"Oh, you want me to wear orange?"-Karen
"Yes, be orange tomorrow."-Student
"Well, I don't know if I have much orange, but I can try."-Karen
"Good, because you are white. So the orange will make you look more white and good." -Student
"Okay?"-Karen
***
Student comes up to me in the classroom:
"Miss, what is a DICK?"
"Uhh...pardon me?"
"A DICK Miss. Dick!"
"Ummm....Can you use it in a sentence?"
"Okay. I like to walk on the big dick to get to my boat"
"OHHHHHHH! DECK. D-EEEE-CK! It is a walkway that floats on water, usually made of wood" (sort of)
*Phew!*
***
OMG, maybe its becuase I used to teach there as well, I don't know, but that dick, I mean deck story cracked me up!
ReplyDelete