Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Parties and Borders and Souks, Oh My!

It has been a busy weekend here in the desert! On Thursday night (our Friday..since we work Sun-Thurs) I went to a welcome back pool party at a hotel in Al Ain. It was nice to see some of the other teachers I hadn't seen in a while and cut a rug (or a sandy fake wooden floor) on the outdoor dance floor.
Yesterday we also did some shopping and I visited a friend who lives right on the border to Oman. This is the fence that defends the border and keeps ruffians out...
Needless to say they aren't too worried about security here!

Today I did some exploring with a friend to a souk, which is like an outdoor market. We visited a carpet souk that had tons of choices and it was fun to haggle for a bargain.

They kept trying to sell me a silk Arabian carpet..they clearly didn't know who they were dealing with...

Tomorrow should be my first day with students...that is if I am still at my school and if any students come! :P I will update on how the day goes soon.

I leave you with a picture of the complex random cat. He comes about, meows, looks sad, but rejects any food you try to give him. Someone told me he probably has cat HIV, so I don't pet him anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I want that pool! (I'm pretty sure it'll fit on the balcony).

    ReplyDelete