What is different, you ask? Well...everything! This time last year I was probably in my portable in Webequie, maybe teaching a class..maybe sitting alone because there were no students. It was already so cold that it would snow in only a few days (on Halloween). I handed out candy to the little First Nations children who were bundled up in their winter coats over their costumes and driven around on snow mobiles to trick or treat. Fast forward to my drive today where it was still blissfully warm at 8pm and I was cruising through the streets in the desert, rocking out to Hindi music. By the time I leave here I will either really, really like, or really, really hate, Hindi music.
It did bring me a lot of joy when the next song was Lady Gaga's Born This Way. For one, because I can sing along...and for two because I was surprised to hear a song supporting the LGBT community on a radio station played in and run by one of the most conservative places in the world. Perhaps someone was giving a secret nod to the fact that there are MANY gay individuals in the UAE who cannot openly live their true identity. In addition, many of the youth are curious, questioning or experimenting, in part because the sexes are entirely segregated. The girls at school got yelled at during assembly yesterday for meeting each other in the bathroom for sexual rendezvous.
Lastly, I will leave you with a story of my trip to the mall. I had called and made an appointment to get my nails done with a friend from work after school. We got there, the lady started doing my nails, and then they realized that they did not have enough staff to finish the job, so they told me they wouldn't be able to do it. I left without a fuss, figuring-oh well, shit happens. I went to the mall and ordered a quesadilla in the food court for dinner. Before I got it I asked the girl what was in it and she did not speak a word of English, but nodded when I said chicken, so I figured it was okay. I got the quesadilla and it was dripping with mayonnaise. Who puts mayo in a chicken quesadilla?! Disgusting! I HATE MAYO! I very sadly told them I was allergic to mayo, which is a complete lie...but I really couldn't eat it. They were nice enough to make me another one. I got the new one, opened it up and what was it full of? Chicken, mushrooms and black olives. Mushrooms and black olives happen to be two of my top most disliked foods. I tried scraping them off, but since the cheese inside the quesadilla was plastic cheese slices..it wound't budge. I threw it out and went and got a brownie instead. I dragged my butt around the mall doing what I needed to do and was finally ready to go home. I was walking to my car and this man was walking parallel to me a few feet away. He was full on staring at me like I was walking down the parking lot naked, and I was feeling rather saucy, so I turned and said "WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT!?" He said something in Arabic and scurried away. I did have a certain feeling of satisfaction in this moment because having men stare at you everywhere you go, all the time, does get pretty old. This not just me of course (despite my stunning beauty and runway-ready body...ha!) but all Western women.
It will be nice to come home for Christmas, be cold for once in 4 months and blend on in with all the scantily clad women of Canadian. Scantily clad: read-t-shirt and a skirt to the knee! :o
No comments:
Post a Comment