Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Monday, October 24, 2011

Put down those sexy thumbs! I can't handle all the love..

Today I was driving home and realized I needed gas. Not knowing where the closest station was, I pulled over to use my GPS and find a station. I just pulled over onto the shoulder of the main road and as I was keying in my location on my GPS, I got a weird feeling and looked the left of me out my car window. Pulled up and stopped right beside me was an arab man in a bright green car, smiling like a super creep and giving me the thumbs up from the drivers seat. Not only is this incredibly creepy in general..but he was stopped in the right hand lane, on the road, just sitting beside my car. Fully impeding traffic, fully creeping out wrongtime.

If I hadn't been so taken off guard I would have taken an actual photo of the creeper, but since I was, I have found you a similar google image to illustrate:

I did not give him a thumbs up back, in fact I considered the use of another finger, but you can actually go to jail for that here. Instead I gave him a puzzled look and drove off. He followed me through two roundabouts till I got to the gas station, where he pulled off and I turned in.

A similar situation happened to a friend of mine while she was driving to work, but the man actually followed her all the way to her school parking lot. Talk about CREEPY! Men here don't seem to understand that the best way to get a woman's number is not to stare at her like her face is made of boobs or follow her around the city.

Along with creepers, another thing this place has a lot of, is stamps. They want an official stamp on every document you touch and usually want you to pay for it. I recently took a sick day off work and for that you must go to a hospital, see a doctor, get a doctor's note with two stamps from the hospital, then take that note to a separate building in a totally different part of the city and get it stamped again...twice, by the "Healthy Authority." When I went there today, the woman stamped the form, without even looking at it and said "It's really good you came right now...I was about to leave." The sign on the door said she was open daily till 3pm, the time on my watch was 2:14pm. Sigh.


1 comment:

  1. I totally had a creepy thumbs up moment here in Toronto this past summer. Dudes in a car driving next to mine gave the thumbs up. Of course, in that case maybe my boobs were too "in their face" (must remember to adjust fancy dress accordingly when wearing seat belt).

    ReplyDelete