Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Monday, December 12, 2011

I wonder..

Here are a list of things I never thought I'd have to consider...

[When leaving the house in the morning]...
-Is there a sand storm or extreme desert fog that will make my commute longer?
-Do I have my Ipod so that I won't have to listen to Hindi music and Hindi music only, in the car?
-Do I have a backup plan for my bangs like a hairband or hairpins in case it gets incredibly hot and they get plastered to my forehead?
-Do I have a bottle of water with me?
-DO I HAVE MY BLACKBERRY?! All life stops here if you don't have your cell phone
-Is my blackberry charged so that I can call for help in the event that someone is successful in getting me to drive into them/driving into me today?
-How do my feet look? (Year round use of sandals and very dry conditions make a lot of pedicures necessary)

[When going to work]...
-Is too much of my collarbone showing? Can you see my tattoo?
-Do I have a bottle of water with me?
-How will I avoid getting too much sand in my shoes when walking from the parking lot to my school?
-I wonder which one of my student's fathers or nannies will try to kill me with their SUV today?
-I wonder if I will still get to work on time if the police stop traffic at the roundabout for 15 minutes in one direction for seemingly no reason?

[While at work]...
-I wonder what these 12 forms/letters are that I sign daily, which are entirely in Arabic?
-I wonder why...break is cancelled and classes are getting out early?
-I wonder what they are saying/I wonder what's happening? (This feeling is constant)
-I wonder why I have to use a separate bathroom than the local staff? Did I accidentally go back in time on my way to work and end up in Alabama in 1955?
-I wonder why there is always water all over the floor in the bathroom at work?

[When going out on the weekend]...
-Do I have comfortable, Western clothes to wear in Dubai while also having things to cover up in as soon as I drive back into Al Ain?
-I wonder what kind of random events or mall parades are happening this weekend?
-I wonder if I'll get in trouble if I take a picture of that...?
-I wonder if my students will see me at the mall? Their veil allows them anonymity.
-I wonder when I will have time to...clean my house, get to that marking, plan for next week, when there is so much else to see and do? :o)

And the number one thing I stop and wonder for just a moment every day: How the hell did I end up here?!

Sure is an interesting life though! :)

1 comment:

  1. I wonder how I ended up with a daughter who can handle all this when I can have a nervous breakdown filling out Christmas cards?

    ReplyDelete