Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Another Brick in the Wall

Today I was proctoring a grade 12 exam with an Arab teacher. In proctoring they usually do most of the work while I just stand there looking dumb because I cannot read the exam instructions or the students names or answer any of their questions. I usually just stare at the wall, but I'm getting paid, so hey. Anyways, the teacher usually just comes in, tells them to sit down and hands out the tests. Today, though, she came in and said something in Arabic and the students all stood, looking dumb-founded.

She proceded around the room and did a physical body search of each student. Like, we are talking an airport frisk-ankles to neck! I guess there was a recent incident of a student cheating at a school, but really, is an aggressive frisk necessary? Please keep in mind that these kids are not hardened gangsters or thugs. They are sweet little Muslim girls with a serious fear of God- and their Father. The other teacher looked at me expectantly as she was frisking her second student and I let out a little snort (not meaning to) and sat down. So. Not. Doing. That. One student also had a full-blown panic attack during her exam and instead of letting her go to the bathroom (with an escort of course-so she could not cheat with the paper probably concealed somewhere very seedy) they just gave her a cookie and tea and stared at her. Really people? Many of the students had a hard time with their exams and were in tears, holding on to them for dear life when it was time to submit them.

Should you wish to know more about how I feel about this, I invite you to watch the following video:





Also- we just found out that instead of being paid our full summer pay in our June pay cheque as was promised to us all year, and reconfirmed in a company email last week...now we are not, we will be paid monthly which only slighty  totally effs up my plans for my vacation in July. All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.







No comments:

Post a Comment