Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Birthday reflections

Yo shawty, it's mah birthday.

Last year at this time I had been living in a five star in the UAE for about 20 days already.  I was definitely still adjusting. It was 55 degrees Celsius on a good day and Ramadan was just ending, so I dreamed of running into the streets and drinking water in public (and then running back inside because I was melting after 30 seconds).

My friends and I went to the Emirates Palace, the 7 star luxury hotel in Abu Dhabi. We had brunch (I had the buffet which was like $75 but the world's best buffet-Thanks to my friends who paid for it!) and then we went to IKEA, because that was the only thing open! The next day we went on a desert safari where I rode a camel for the first time and ate an arabic meal under the desert stars. Sounds like a pretty quintessential UAE birthday to me!

This year I am in Canada visiting family (where I was hiding out from the heat....shh! don't tell the sun) and my plans today include going to Swiss Chalet dinner followed up by a Sobey's grocery store cake-which honestly, are friggin delicious and probably one of my favourite cakes. Sounds very quintessentially Canadian :)

I wonder where my birthday next year will be? :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment