Things around here have been stressful for everyone recently. The boy who I mentioned in a previous post (Jordan Wabasse) is still missing, it is the 9th day now since he was last seen. This and other stressors are affecting everyone on the island and it is as though there is a collective holding of our breath to hear some kind of news. If you are interested in following the story or helping out the family, search for the 'Help Find Jordan Wabasse' and like it on facebook to recieve updates.
On a positive note, I have never seen a group of people pull together so well in a crisis. Countless people from the community have flown down to Thunder Bay to stay with Jordan's parents and help search. Other First Nations communities have also helped out financially, with the search and with spreading the word. People here either tend to be related or very close since they have lived most of their lives together..so they have each other's backs. There is something to be admired about that kind of support considering I didn't ever even know my neighbours when I lived in the city. This community has faced a lot of tragedy (like most First Nation's communities) and I think it has the effect of maturing kids before their time. I can only hope that this whole thing will be over one way or another very soon.
In an attempt to lighten up this very serious post, here are some things in my life that are good right now:
1. I got a surprise 'Northern Survival Kit' package from my friend Andrew yesterday full of all sorts of awesome things!
2. I had two people staying with me this week and when they left, they left all their food they brought..woo! Food!
3. 24 sleeps till I'm on my way to Jamaica!
No comments:
Post a Comment