Today I should be planning for the week, but instead I have opted to try to finish making my gloves that I started before Christmas and watch Sound of Music. As I was watching one of my favourite scenes/ songs, How do solve a problem like Maria I started thinking about the parallels between Maria and myself. One of those parallels is not the desire for nunnery, but instead for being a little too adventurous, perhaps a little too stubborn and having confidence in things I really have no idea about.
I decided one day at lunch with my sister I decided that I was going to go to grad school when she casually commented "well..you could go back to school..", two weeks before the deadline. Then, while I was there, I applied for and took a job up North. Then I came up North..."It will only be 10 months and I'll be back everyone, I promise..." and applied for and took a job in the Middle East. It will only be two years everyone, I promise!! ;) So, how do you solve a problem like Karen? Well...
She climbs a tree and scrapes her knee This morning I closed my hand in the front door
Her dress has got a tear And my pants have chocolate on them from a kitkat I just ate
She waltzes on her way to class
And whistles on the stair
And underneath her hoodie
She has curlers in her hair
I even heard her singing in the hallway
She's always late for meetings (and work and buses and movies)
But her dedication is real
She's always late for everything
Except for every meal
I hate to have to say it
But I very firmly feel
Karen's not an asset to the school Well, I don't know about that...
I'd like to say a word in her behalf
Karen makes me laugh! I try..
How do you solve a problem like Karen?
How do you catch a cloud and pin it down? Ask my Mom this one..
How do you find a word that means Karen?
A flibbertijibbet! A will-o'-the wisp! A clown! I'm probably a flibbertijibbet...
Many a thing you know you'd like to tell her
Many a thing she ought to understand
But how do you make her stay? No one seems to know, she keeps moving further away..
And listen to all you say? Never gonna happen!
How do you keep a wave upon the sand? You can't, but you can keep a Karen on a beach in Abu Dhabi :)
Oh, how do you solve a problem like Karen?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?
When I'm with her I'm confused
Out of focus and bemused
And I never know exactly where I am
Unpredictable as weather
She's as flighty as a feather
She's a darling! She's a demon! She's a lamb! This describes my childhood perfectly...
She'd outpester any pest
Drive a hornet from its nest
She could throw a whirling dervish out of whirl
She is gentle! She is wild!
She's a riddle! She's a child!
She's a headache! She's an angel!
She's a girl!
Oh, how do you solve a problem like Karen?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?
There you have it.
And my theme song for moving to Abu Dhabi you ask? I Have Confidence
(I hope you are not tired of my extended metaphor between myself and Maria. If so, this next part is going to be a little tiresome...)
What will this day be like? I wonder. Probably hot..
What will my future be? I wonder. Probably confusing..
It could be so exciting to be out in the world, to be free
My heart should be wildly rejoicing
Oh, what's the matter with me? I get bored easily?
I've always longed for adventure Even as a child
To do the things I've never dared
And here I'm facing adventure
Then why am I so scared Because I'm moving to the other side of the world!
A classroom full of children
What's so fearsome about that? LOTS!
Oh, I must stop these doubts, all these worries
If I don't I just know I'll turn back Parachute off the plane?
I must dream of the things I am seeking Mmm beaches...
I am seeking the courage I lack
The courage to serve them with reliance
Face my mistakes without defiance
Show them I'm worthy
And while I show them
I'll show me YEAH!
So, let them bring on all their problems
I'll do better than my best
I have confidence they'll put me to the test Oh, I know they will!
But I'll make them see I have confidence in me
Somehow I will impress them
I will be firm but kind
And all those children (Heaven bless them!)
They will look up to me
And mind me! Ruling with an iron fist...this one..
With each step I am more certain
Everything will turn out fine
I have confidence the world can all be mine I'm working on it, one continent at a time...
They'll have to agree I have confidence in me
I have confidence in sunshine and heat and humidity...
I have confidence in rain and extreme cold
I have confidence that spring will come again
Besides which you see I have confidence in me
Strength doesn't lie in numbers Just me!
Strength doesn't lie in wealth Emirate people may argue with that..
Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers
When you wake up -- Wake Up!
All I trust I lead my heart to
All I trust becomes my own
I have confidence in confidence alone
Besides which you see I have confidence in me! Look out Middle East
Now, I just need to find myself a nice Austrian Captain to settle down with and I'm all set :)
Karen, this is your best post yet, made me laugh, tear up a little and shows your insight into yourself perfectly.
ReplyDeleteHave you ever noticed the quote I keep hanging in my room? I've had it since I was a young woman and always loved it. I realized the other day that it reminds me of you.
Even though I'm sure your educated self knows it, I'll repeat it here.
A Different Drummer by Henry David Thoreau
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
Substitute 'she' and it works.
Thanks Mom :) I have actually never noticed that quote..but see, it is your fault afterall that I keep going on crazier adventures! :P You raised me to march to my own drummer...
ReplyDeleteKaren, that is and was an awesome post! Enjoyed reading it. I have no doubt in my mind that you will succeed in everything you do and teaching in Dubai will be no different. When I was your age I had all these adventures in my mind, but never followed through with them. You are experiencing so much that others will never get to do. Enjoy the ride sweetheart! TTFN
ReplyDelete