It's been a while since my last post. Probably because it has been a really long week. It is mighty cold here right now (between -40 and -50 daily) so it makes every day tasks like getting ready to walk 5 minutes to work or going to the store up the street, quite trying. Everyone also seems to be feeling the February drain a bit too. Not enough sunlight, an entire month with almost no break, (thankfully family day is there though) and the constant threat of cold and flu is making for grumpy Webequiers. Webequians? People of Webequie. There.
Classes are going alright. Literacy sure is a boring topic to teach but it is helping the kids (and adults, in this case) get those basic skills they need so it's worth it. Civics can also be tiring because it involves a lot of definitions and it's really hard to do anything hands on because there is not a lot of participation in the class. History, which I thought would be the worst for me, is actually pretty good. I am sort of learning as I go but I find some of it interesting. Plus it can lend itself to some creativity. When I have more than one student that is.
The community is struggling a bit right now because one of the teens from the community who has been down in Thunder Bay for high school went missing on Monday and still has not been found. He was actually in my class at the very beginning of the year but soon left to go to thunder bay. Everyone is really hoping he is found of course and I am too. Neither this community nor these teens need any more tragedy to happen. Here's a link to his story: http://netnewsledger.com/?p=5724
In brighter news, tomorrow is Friday which means I will have the weekend to watch useless shows on MTV and possibly clean up the dump that is my house. I would describe it for you, but it's gotten to the point where I might be somehow reported for my squalor. I don't know what they'd report though...lazy-assed-ness? In any case some serious housework needs to be done! I'd better be off to bed, lest I fall asleep in my own boring Literacy class tomorrow morning *yawn*
No comments:
Post a Comment