Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine!

I come from a long line of people who sleep like the dead. Meteors could hit, fire alarms could chime and we just don't wake up. My sister is the best (or perhaps worst) in the family line...she can sleep through anything. She often jokes that she worries she will wake up one day, having slept through the Apocalypse and be the only one left. Well, this morning, I had one of those moments.

I woke up to Muffin barking (thank God for my little fuzzy alarm clock) and rolled over to look at my clock: Blank. Odd, I thought, as I rolled out of bed. I soon found that my house had no power at all. After doing my morning wake up routine, I remembered I could find my wrist watch to check the time (the ONLY analog clock in my house). Well, don't ya know, I lost my damn watch? Okay..I thought, I'll just call a colleague. Right. As I look at my black screened cordless phone. Well that won't work. So I do the next best thing, and hang out my door in my jammies. Nothing. No people, no lights, no trucks on the road. Hell, I thought, I don't even see any dogs. I start wondering, did I actually sleep through the Apocalypse? It was also snowing like a mofo while yesterday it was +15, so I thought that we may have a Day After Tomorrow Situation on our hands.

I shrugged, and came inside to eat my Cherrios, thinking that at least I had Muffin. Maybe we would go on grand crusades through the wilderness, dog and woman against nature. Fighting zombies/roaches since they are the only ones that survived. I thought it prudent to check outside one more time before setting off my on my crusade and my neighbour was poking his head out the door. I assessed situation quickly, decided he did not look like the undead and asked him if he had power. He told me the whole island was out and we'd have to wait and see if there was school or not. A few minutes later there was a sweeping SHGGGGGUUUUUUU sound and everything in my house came on all at once. I can say that I'm happy I didn't sleep through the Apocalypse, but I know if I had, I could always count on being able to hang out with my Mom and sister, who slept through it as well :)

***

I only had one student today and she was working on a previous assignment so it was a pretty hands off teaching day. Mostly full of planning lessons for students who won't come to class. On the super duper positive side, I got my INAC cheques today. INAC is Indian and Northern Affairs Canada and they give financial incentives to teachers who relocate to teach in the North. We have been waiting a realllly long time for these cheques and I will use the money to pay for the courses I need to take this summer, some of that giant loan and maybe a teeny tiny trip this summer? We all need to have fun right..?

Now I'm off to make dinner. I bought some potatoes at the store (a big ticket item up here) and am excited to eat those :)

2 comments:

  1. Everything in this post about me is absolutely true. Yes ma'am.

    I'm glad you got your power back and that it wasn't the end of the world.

    However, I would totes wander the post apocalyptic wasteland with you and Muffin, searching for non-perishable foods and fighting off the zombie/cannibal/super-roach horde. I think we would have to install Mom someplace safe with books and come back for her once we found a food source.

    It's always good to have a plan.

    Yay northern allowance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I'm so glad you'll both take care of mein the apocalypse.
    I will indeed sleep through it and then read the rest of my life away. I don't need food, you would have to hunt down coffee.

    ReplyDelete