I got a call from my car rental company to inform me of my *gulp* $374 in speeding tickets. I don't even really speed that much, but each ticket is almost $100 (for even 10 over) and they hide and move around the meters! Jerks. I am seriously pissed off at myself about it, but I just have to take it as a very expensive lesson learned and stop speeding!
After getting those tickets, I went outside to my car to see this poor creature sitting by my car door:
It was honestly as if she knew who to wait for. When I came slowly near, she jumped up in fear, the poor thing. It looked like she had recently been nursing babies and has little sores all over her body. I fed her the rest of my lunch and gave her water in a bag, while all the parents of my students stared at me in disgust. They see dogs as pests and disgusting creatures here, so ther eare many, many stray dogs. I tried desperately to find an animal shelter in Al Ain, but couldn't find anything online (on my phone) or my GPS. This was all while sitting in my car and watching the locals drive up extra close to her on purpose, honking their horn to try to scare her and even laughing when they almost hit her. I actually yelled at one who had his window down that he was disgusting. Might regret that one tomorrow...
I finally decided I would have to leave her, since I definitely couldn't bring her home (only one stray dog for me!), she probably had puppies she was nursing somewhere, and there were no shelters I could find in Al Ain. It literally broke my heart as I drove away seeing her in my mirror, I think I cried most of the way home. Dogs are resilient creatures, as I learned when I was living up North. What bothered me the most was the sadistic behaviour displayed by the locals toward this poor, scared animal. I truly believe you can tell the measure of a person by how they treat the animals around them. Pair that with how they treat those people who are perceived to be the 'lowest" on the class scale, and many of the people in this country fail miserably.
To top off my fabulous day, I was making dinner in my kitchen while talking on skype and saw a giant, disgusting, monster cockroach wandering on the floor. My skype date got to watch as I screamed at the top of my lungs, danced around and almost cried while jumping, spraying, whacking, jumping, spraying and whacking again. I am still mad at my employer for putting me in a building with these disgusting creatures.
On a more fun note (this post might be too full of complaints even for me..) a student handed in her English FILE the other day to my colleague, with this cover page...
I removed her name, but I assure you no other part of this document is altered, or meant to be ironic. English Fail is right.


Poor Karen, what a day. I know how you feel about animals and the tickets are certainly an expensive lesson.
ReplyDeleteThe student folder is,however, absolutely hilarious!