-They give you ketchup to put on top of your pizza, everywhere you go. Strange, no?
-I can immediately tell by looking at a person whether or not they are a teacher. It comes down to the way they dress, what they are shopping for, and even the way they move. It's funny too, because it is like they are your instant friend and you can wander up to talk to them without it being weird.
-It is very difficult to get fabric softener sheets. Not impossible, but difficult.
-I think I will feel weird when I go home and people don't stare at me where ever I go. I have become so accustomed to the stares I may start wondering why no one cares to look at me anymore :P
-It is a shock and pleasant surprise when someone does something nice for you while you are driving, like lets you in or doesn't speed UP when you are trying to change into their lane. I am probably too grateful and excited for these small acts of kindness.
-I have lived here for 3 months now in Al Ain and there are only like four places I can find without my GPS. This city is a series of big, confusing circles
***
On another note, I have started my countdown to my next holidays. In 27 sleeps I will be in France and then a week after that at home! I am starting to wonder if everyone lives their life broken up into chunks like me. I feel like I am always waiting for the next holiday just like when I was in school. Maybe that is the life of a teacher? Living the perpetual student cycle for life...
It's not that I don't enjoy my everyday life. I love teaching and I love my students, so even if I don't always love my job (who can say that really) I love my life here. I guess it's just missing the familiar faces and places that causes me to countdown to the next holiday. If only I could move all the important people in my life around with me!
There are certainly things to look forward to here, though, including National day on December 2. It is the 40th anniversary of the UAE and I know it will be an exciting day since most places have UAE themed events set up every day for the next 40 days. I hear that on National day people decorate their fancy SUVs and celebrate like crazy, can't wait to see that! Below is an awesome video my friend Zofie shared on facebook of the UAE national anthem. The girls at my school stand in their army stance and sing this every morning so I have come to enjoy it.
Below is the anthem and a translation. Hopefully the translation is correct, but to be honest I wouldn't know either way!
English translation of the UAE national anthem:
Long live my country, live United, our Emirates
Your life for your people
Whose religion is Islam and whose guide is the Quran
We fortify you with the name of Allah, oh my homeland
My country, my country, my country, my country
Allah protects you from evil throughout time
Each of us swears to build you and work for you
Our work is pure, we work in purity
with all our lives, pure & unequivocal
The peace is everlasting and the flag lives on, my Emirates
You are the symbol of the Arab character
Every one of us sacrifices with all of our blood
We sacrifice with our very souls, oh, my homeland
English Translation by gomideast.com (2006)
feel free to use with citation
Below is a video from youtube which shows the Grand Mosque, the largest mosque in the UAE (which also features the largest carpet in the world) and the call to prayer that is heard 5 times a day. The person taking the video is standing quite far from the mosque to get the whole thing in, so you only imagine how loud it is in person.
I found a translation of what they are saying in call to prayer. I hope it is correct, it is the best info I could find:
Allahu Akbar
Allah is Great
(said four times)
Ashhadu an la ilaha illa Allah
I bear witness that there is no god except the One God (Allah).
(said two times)
Ashadu anna Muhammadan Rasool Allah
I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.
(said two times)
Hayya 'ala-s-Salah
Hurry to the prayer (Rise up for prayer)
(said two times)
Hayya 'ala-l-Falah
Hurry to success (Rise up for Salvation)
(said two times)
Allahu Akbar
Allah is Great
[said two times]
La ilaha illa Allah
There is no god except the One God (Allah)
For the pre-dawn (fajr) prayer, the following phrase is inserted after the fifth part above, towards the end:
As-salatu Khayrun Minan-nawm
Prayer is better than sleep
(said two times)
Allah is Great
(said four times)
Ashhadu an la ilaha illa Allah
I bear witness that there is no god except the One God (Allah).
(said two times)
Ashadu anna Muhammadan Rasool Allah
I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.
(said two times)
Hayya 'ala-s-Salah
Hurry to the prayer (Rise up for prayer)
(said two times)
Hayya 'ala-l-Falah
Hurry to success (Rise up for Salvation)
(said two times)
Allahu Akbar
Allah is Great
[said two times]
La ilaha illa Allah
There is no god except the One God (Allah)
For the pre-dawn (fajr) prayer, the following phrase is inserted after the fifth part above, towards the end:
As-salatu Khayrun Minan-nawm
Prayer is better than sleep
(said two times)
Your call to prayer translation is correct.
ReplyDelete