Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Quirk 3

Webequie Quirk of the Day 3:

Today's quirk is brought to you by the letter G, for grammar! Bad grammar usually boils my blood, but the kids up here actually have a few bad grammar catch phrases that have earned a special place in my heart.

"Ever lots"-Used any time there is a lot of anything or anyone. For example, "Ever lots of dogs around the teacher's houses."

"Ever cheap"-When something doesn't meet a child's high standards for awesomeness. For example, "Ever cheap this game is." Note that it has nothing to do with a monetary amount. That is key to the phrase.

"Why come?"-For some reason, "How come?" never made it's way up to Northern Ontario. For example, "Why come you have a big zit on your face?" That's a direct quote from yesterday. Thanks kids.

"Embarrassing"-While this is not bad grammar, the students don't seem to know the meaning of the word. They use it as a response to pretty much any question you might ask them. For example: "There is a bingo tonight right?" "Yeah, embarrassing!"

"Lol jk"-Most people know this as- "Laugh out loud, just kidding." The kids here don't seem to quite get that though. They write it after every single status update or comment they post on facebook. For example: "Bored here. Going to walk to the store. Lol jk."

Then there's me: So...are you, or are you not, walking to the store? Why is it so funny and preposterous that you would be bored and walk to the store? Am I missing the joke? No. There simply is no joke and they are neither laughing nor kidding.

Last but not least..."Sangwich" This one is not limited to just the kids, either. I too wanted a sangwich...when I was 4! I have to stop myself from correcting this one when I hear it.

Side note: If I hear or see any of the above grammatical errors inside the four walls of my classroom, I correct it. Ever lots of mistakes is just too embarrassing in school! Lol jk.

3 comments:

  1. East Costers use Ever in front of sentences as well. I catch my self doing it sometimes. Another big one is using them instead of that's.
    EX- Thems some nice big truck you got there. OR, Thems some big lobsters. Drives me bonkers.

    I blame my bad grammer all on Nova Scotia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still like sangwiches...yeah, embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Standing Rockers use "Embarrassing" as well.
    We also say:
    Zeee = "No way," or "in your dreams!"
    Not even! = another way to say "no"
    Aaaaaaye! = usually a response to a joke or being teased

    There's a lot more that my "just waking up" brain can't remember at the moment.

    ReplyDelete