Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Update on the Web

It has been a while since I have written, I know. Things have been pretty busy up here, with the end of the school year getting closer.

Last week Jordan Wabasse was laid to rest in the community. A very large funeral was held for him in the school gym. There were lots of pictures of him with his family and friends decorating the gym and beautiful flowers. It was a nice, but very sad occasion. There are a few things of note that I will always remember from the day. First off, the coffin was a simple flat grey colour with a photo of Jordan's smiling face in the middle. Surrounding it were many brightly coloured flowers and covering the coffin lid were hundreds of signatures and messages of love from Jordan's family and friends. I thought it was such a simple, yet beautiful way to leave a message for him and his family and I think everyone should do the same. Many locals were taking photographs but since I was not expecting this, I didn't have my camera, so I can't show you. I'm sure you can imagine it though. Another sad, yet sweet moment, was at the end when the family gathered around the coffin and placed a hand on it. Then the other people surrounded them and each put a hand on the shoulder of the person in front of them, so it is as if you are all as one, saying goodbye.

There were a number of terribly heartbreaking moments, like watching his younger brothers barely able to stand, trying to say goodbye. Or watching his parents try to be strong, and his Grandmother's speech. There was a community feast later that evening, for which i made 100 burgers. My house smelled like a McDonald's for like a week afterward. The community continued to pull together in an amazingly supportive way, and Jordan will surely be missed forever.

My kitchen/McDonald's

***

On a school related note, the curriculum inspector came up this past week, the "curriculum police" as I have been referring to them so far. I spent a lot of time preparing for this event which really only lasted about 20 minutes in total. He told me everything looked fine, except I had the wrong course outline, and then left. I guess preparing for it was good practice for when I am in the Middle East. I suspect they take evaluations a bit more seriously over there.

My flights are booked to come home on June 29. That is only 39 sleeps away and I can't wait to be back and see my family and friends at home :) On that note, anyone who wants to pick me up at Pearson that day...me and my doggy need a ride ;)

***
Lastly, I'd like to show you Webequie's finest recycling bin. Somewhere, David Suzuki just died a little inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment