Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Friday, August 19, 2011

AD in 14

I would like to dedicate this post to my cousin Pam. Ever since she yelled at me on facebook to post more often, I have been trying to keep up :P

As of today I have been here for 2 weeks. 14 days doesn't seem long, but a lot has happened in 14 days! So, here is:

Karen's top 14 things to know about Abu Dhabi:

1. Two principles to live by here are Inshallah (which means if Allah wills it, or God willing) and Shway Shway (which means little by little, slow down or take it easy). There is even a hand gesture that goes with Shway Shway if you are saying it to someone while driving. People here like to do things when they are darn ready and do not like to be rushed. It is a common joke at our orientation meetings to say something like "You will all get your username and password for a site you REALLY need to get on, on Thursday, Inshallah. Remember folks, Shway Shway!" Can you guess if we got that password yet?

2. North Americans are very loud compared to Emirati people. Often when an Emirati speaks, you have to strain to listen and speaking louder would be seen as boisterous, so they will not. The UAE is not for the hard of hearing!

3. It is seen extremely offensive to show the bottom of your foot to a Muslim person (here). Thus, the very common North American practice of crossing one's legs while sitting is a no-no but it is very easy to forget this.

4. It is hotter than you can imagine, if you have not been to this part of the world before. Seriously. I have to always keep a towel or napkins in my purse and cannot wear any make up that can run (even waterproof!)

5. You know that song: Where the streets have no name, by U2? I'm pretty sure they must be talking about AD, because buildings don't really have addresses and often streets will have no street signs. You get around in this place by knowing land marks and areas. Unfortunately, those names are sometimes pretty hard to pronounce for an english-only speaker.

6. Most 14 year old Emiratis have more money than my entire extended family, combined.

7. Here, religion is absolutely paramount. There are mosques everywhere, you hear the call to prayer 5 times a day no matter where you are (outside, a restaurant, a mall, a bathroom..it will be broadcasted there) and there are places to pray everywhere. In buildings you will often see what looks like a fancy tent with mats on the ground, which is used for prayer call. On the side of the highway on long drives outside the main city there will be small buildings that look like moques that are just there so people can stop and pray in them. One day our bus driver pulled over and got off to pray. The true commitment to religion is shown during Ramadan when it is literally 130 degrees outside and people will fast all day long, which includes no liquid, and work outside. I can't imagine doing it, I think I would actually die of heat exhaustion.

8. They take their leader here, Sheikh Khalife Bin Zayed, very seriously. He is the president of the UAE. Everywhere you go it seems he is watching over the city with pictures in every building and giant billboards of his face. I have not figured out why yet, but in all the pictures of him, his eyes are diverted. He never looks straight ahead. Still researching on that one!


9. There is a huge population of immigrants from Pakistan and the Philippines. Immigrants from Pakistan are usually taxi drivers and Filipino women are usually maids or nannies. It is very common here to see an Emirati family walking around with the Filipino nanny walking behind carrying bags or pushing a stroller. These women and men come here because they can make a better wage than at home, but the divide between the rich and the poor in this country is still staggering. I was told cab drivers make about 150 AED a week. To give you perspective, I am making about 926 AED a day, to sit in my hotel room right now. 150 AED is equal to $40.49 Canadian. Needless to say, I tip cab drivers well.

10. If you a woman, everyone here will call you Ma'am, regardless of your age.

11. The Emiratis take great care to respect their women. In my view, it seems women are revered as Mother and in need of protection and respect. Men here are very careful not to stare at women, or get too close to them to make them uncomfortable. This is partly religious and partly cultural (I think) but it definitely creates a feeling of safety while here. A group of women walking down the street will not be harassed, unless it is by a bunch of drunk expats from North America or Europe.

12. The milk here tastes weird to me.

13. Everything here seems to be extravagant from the hotels to the malls to the beaches. There is even an air conditioned beach at one of the hotels. Wrap your mind around that one!

14. In order to see all this for yourself, you should come visit me! I have an extra bedroom...

No comments:

Post a Comment