We finally made it in and the stadium was entirely empty. The woman seemed confused when we asked her for tickets to the game, like no one had ever made such a request before. We got in to see the stadium:
and a nice Australian sounding man wearing a suit told us the game would start in an hour, and that we could sit in the VIP section in the air conditioning if we wanted. We later discovered that this was likely because we were nearly the only females there. The VIP was pretty pimp with nice chairs, free drinks and best of all, free, cold air conditioning. Even though the game started at 10pm we could see how much the people sitting in the stands were sweating.
We sort of half paid attention to the game and clapped when it seemed appropriate. It was a nice, free(ish) way to spend our evening.
As we were waiting in the lobby after the game, I noticed a man sweeping the lobby. It seemed odd since it was after midnight and people were continually walking over the area he was sweeping. It occurred to me in that moment, that everywhere I go here, someone is cleaning something. Abu Dhabi is very much about appearances, so they must keep it neat and tidy at all times. When I go to Carrefour which is like the UAE Walmart, there is a guy that drives around on a Zamboni type floor washer even when it completely crowded, just to make sure the floor isn't scuffed. I've seen him there morning and night, so I think that's all he does. It's not a small machine either...when he's coming your way you better move your butt because I am pretty sure he would run you over if given the chance.
I also saw a man squeegee a side window of the VIP box (which no one would even be looking out of) at the game because it had some condensation on it. There are people that sit in public bathrooms in order to clean them after they have been used. It does make for a very clean, good looking city, but it just seems like sooo much work!

No comments:
Post a Comment