It’s time for one last post from Canada, folks. I leave tomorrow evening for Abu Dhabi. As I write this, I am on the Go bus coming back from Toronto. That’s right, I spent my last, full, precious, day in Canada in class all day long. It wasn’t all bad though, I got lots of well wishes from my Profs and colleagues, a huge extension on my final essay (which I didn’t even ask for…) and even a round of applause in my last class of the day.
So. It ends here. The countdown, that is. I feel like Harry Potter except I am embarking on a (hopefully) fantastical journey to the other side of the world instead of facing a magic-related death. I sure as hell wish I could just apperate to the Middle East though. 13 hours doesn’t seem like much right now as I am typing, but I bet it will feel like something about 8 hours into the flight.
For anyone still confused…”What are you doing? Where are you going again? For how long?”…
I am going to Abu Dhabi, which is a province in the United Arab Emirates (the country). The UAE is on the continent of Asia. I do not yet know the city I will be placed in, but I should find out in my first week or so in Abu Dhabi. I am told I will likely be placed in Abu Dhabi city which is about and hour or two from Dubai.
I am flying with a group of about 30 other teachers out of Pearson and we have a direct flight into Abu Dhabi airport. I leave Thursday night at 10:45 pm and I will arrive at around 7:45pm on Friday night (Toronto time) which will be 3:45 am on Saturday morning for me in Abu Dhabi time (there is an 8 hour difference). So, essentially, I am going BACK TO THE FUTURE! Cool. My contract is two years, but I will be home for Christmas and in the summer.
UAE is one of the most liberal countries in the Middle East, but it is still very conservative by North American standards. There are many rules I will be expected to abide by while there like conservative clothing (skirts to the ankle, tops to the collarbone, sleeves to the wrist, not tight-so basically I had to shop like a 70 year old North American woman). Clothes are not designed for this purpose in Canada, so I did not buy much here. I hear that I will be able to visit a tailor in the local market(s) and they will be able to make me appropriate clothing for much cheaper than I could buy it for. I look forward to that! I do not need to wear a hijab, burka or any other type of head covering. I shouldn’t swear, should be careful not to offend anyone and should be generally reserved in demeanor . I can drink there with an alcohol license (which is easy to obtain if one is not a practicing Muslim) and can do most activities I would do at home without issue.
Some questions I have heard recently when talking about this…
Is it safe? Yes, I am told. The UAE is one of richest countries in the world and crime is very low. While other parts of the Middle East are somewhat dangerous, the UAE has not had a significant conflict in the last 30 years (maybe longer) and citizens are generally well taken care of with full health care, good education and lots of job opportunities. The leader seems to be well liked too, so uprising is very unlikely.
Are women there oppressed? I have heard that women in Abu Dhabi and the UAE in general have legal rights that parallel those of women in Canada, but religion and cultural customs can put them in lesser positions than men in some cases. Women are often well educated, have the opportunity to go to University and have full careers if they choose. Expatriot women (those like me who are not from the UAE) are not expected to follow all of the same religious/cultural practices as Muslim Arab women, but we are asked to respect those customs/practices and choices. I am sure there will be some inequalities that will upset and anger me, but I saw these in Canada many times. No place is perfect. I will not be imprisoned for speaking my mind or for swearing, though, so don’t worry too much about me!
Is it true they censor everything sexual? Yes. You cannot bring any “offensive material” through customs, which includes dirty magazines, movies, sex toys or anything that portrays an offensive message related to Islam. All the magazines have giant censor stickers over any sexual images (like cleavage!), sex scenes are cut out of the movies and premarital sex is illegal. This will certainly be a change from Canada, but I knew what I signed up for…
Why are you moving to the Middle East? Why can’t you just teach in Ontario?! Well.. there are very few permanent, full time teaching jobs in Ontario (and Canada) which are not in remote communities like Webequie, they will pay me more and give me free housing and I love adventure! I have nothing tying me down at the moment and pair that will a LOT of student debt, and there you have it. The Middle East offers the highest paid international teaching jobs (when you factor in the free flights and housing) so it the decision easy.
I don’t know what my internet access will be like when I get there, but I will try to update as much as possible. Thank you for continuing on my journey with me, and if you see my Mom around…please do encourage her that her baby will be okay in the Middle East :)
Peace out, Canada.
I wise you all the best is anything that you will do over there and i know you can do it
ReplyDeleteYou can wear you normal Canadian clothes in the UAE ,its not Saudi Arabia , even in Saudi Arabia foreigners live the way they want inside their compounds.The simple direct answer to their question is "money" , Western foreigners get high salaries in comparison to other foreigners with their exact same qualifications or even better. Unfortunately we in the Middle East give credit to anyone from the West while people in the West look down to us and preach hatred and sarcasm against us , anyways maybe I am politically oriented but you will discover that yourself.Take care of yourself.
ReplyDeleteHi Anonymous. I can see that something I have said in my blog has upset you in some way and I am sorry for that. My blog is meant to document my journey as I see it. I do not in any way claim that my perceptions of the UAE are necessarily correct or what anyone else would think or see here. I am here to pay down some debt, yes, but also to experience something different, learn about the culture and become a better teacher. All of the Westerners I know who have come here to live and work are doing so with the best of intentions, not to preach hatred or sarcasm.
ReplyDeleteI have been here for some time now and things are different (like what I can wear, for example) than at home, but I am embracing those differences and learning as I go. I hope that if you continue to read my blog, you will see that I have good intentions and just want to share my story with my friends and family. Take care.