Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Husky German Muffin

Well it has been one busy/ strange week. I should start by telling you the tale of my new puppy, or rather the tail. Ha.

So on Monday night after our choir practice (aka hours of practicing the same two songs for the christmas assembly...) my colleague Romeo who is very much a big dog lover comes over to me and says "I might have a puppy for you...and she's little!" I was clearly already pretty excited but I said okay, I'll have to see her. Her name was Hannah at the time which I don't think is a very fun name at all for a dog, and when he brought her over I exclaimed "Ohhh! Look at the little muffin!" All the teachers around mentioned that could be her new name. I was nervous at that moment, considering all the many responsibilities of owning a dog, both financially and time-wise, so I said I'd take her for a few nights to see how we did. It is believed she might be a Husky/German Shepherd mix, though I haven't seen any German Shepherd's on the island so maybe she's crossed with a wolf :P The first night was crazy, she was not used to me or my house and kept biting, pooping and peeing on everything in sight. I gave her a bath which she seemed to appreciate even though she didn't much enjoy being all wet. I set up the laundry room for her to sleep in because of the tile floor in case of accidents. She whined nearly the whole night, but I was instructed by all the dog owners here that she would and to just let her get used to it on her own. It's only 3 days later but I am absolutely in love with her and she is here to stay. It's amazing having a little friend to come home to and wake up to every day. While I have been bitten more times(puppy love bites) and cleaned up more poo in the last 3 days then ever before in my life, the good far out weighs the bad. She even had a play date with my friend Shannon's dog Bitsy and they were fast friends:




Today was also the third consequetive snow day which is just plain awesome. The first one was Tuesday and just the afternoon was cancelled. Yesterday the whole day was cancelled but we still had to go to work (for some reason..) and today was a pure day off! I went back to bed upon hearing this cheery news from my neighbour and then spent the afternoon relaxing and taking my puppy on a play date at Shannon's place. I think tomorrow we will probably be back at school but then it's the weekend already, woohoo! Needless to say all these days off are doing nothing good for me getting through all the curriculum expectations, but when the snow is up to your waist in some places, what can ya do?

Coinciding nicely with my time off was the arrival of my Wii. I have a few things to comment based on this:

1. If you don't have a Wii, get one. It's awesome.
2. Wii fit is actually quite fun and has some challenging exercises.
3. The New Super Mario is all pretty much all of the classic mario games COMBINED and is legit the best Mario ever! And if there is anything I know, it's Mario games.
4. The W in Wii actually stands for (time) Waster. I keep going to bed at 2am!

Now, if that list didn't satisfy you, you just know I had another one coming! Here is a list of observations about owning a dog:

1. Everyone will talk to you about dog care and/or your dog, and you will actually care, instead of being annoyed by someone talking about their dog too much (and don't you dare diss me for talking about my dog in my blog. It's my blog damnit!)

2. You can't leave old dishes around, or crusts of peanut butter toast because your dog WILL eat it and then shit on your carpet. So really, having a dog has made me a better housekeeper.

3.Puppies fart a lot.

4. Puppy farts smell. A lot.

5. Waking up and stepping in pee almost immediately is one of the most unpleasant things ever.

6. Having a puppy is like having a baby. With more barking.

Today we were also practicing for the Gospel Jamboree. I know, you SO wish you could come right? Anyone who knows me probably knows I'm not very religious, so there is something a little uncomfortable and artificial feeling singing a lot about Jesus. PLUS, they rejected any songs about Santa! Like...really? It's time to remember the true meaning of Christmas...The birth of Santa! For anyone missing that reference, it's from the Simpsons, I'm not trying to be confrontational lol.

It's getting closer to my home coming and I couldn't be happier! For now Little Miss Muffet and I need some sleep so I'll catch you again soon bloggies!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog Karen...clearly there is now a puppy in our family.
    The line about stepping in dog pee first thing in the morning had me snorting with laughter...I can just picture how thrilled it would make you.
    Obviously you, your dog and your Wii are going to live happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete