It has been snowing here for about 4 days. I actually prefer the days it snows a lot because it means it is not SO cold. But, snow does present it's certain challenges.
I have compiled some facts for you about the trials and tribulations of winter in Webequie:
1. My mid-shin high boots are not tall enough to keep the snow out. I basically need hip-high winter boots. I don't know if these exist.
2. I don't have snow pants. This has become an increasing issue.
3. Since there are no sidewalks or paved roads there is very little plowed area, just some smooshed down snow to walk on. This makes walking to work hard!
4. I am now extremely jealous of those who have ski-doos. It is pretty much a must here.
5. I walk across the field to work, zig zagging to follow the ski-doo tracks so i don't get stuck in the snow. This makes me look insane.
6. When ever you come home, a dog or dogs will be waiting on your porch, ready to run in your house, steal your food and shake snow everywhere.
Now, enough complaining Karen! Jeez! Here are some good things about winter in the Web.:
1. Watching the kids loving life playing hockey on the lake behind my house.
2. Big fat fluffy snowflakes sprinkled on everything to make the whole island shimmer.
3. It means CHRISTMAS IS SOON!!!
4. It allows for 'sliding' aka sledding which the kids seem to love more than anything ever.
5. More snow on the ground means less mud and less mud means less muddy shoes in my classroom :)
6. There is a possible snow-shoeing trip coming up!
***
In other news, I finished my beaded dream catcher! I would post a pic but I might give it to a lucky person for christmas, so I'll keep it under wraps for now. I have moved on to doing beading on material, and I am going to make my own mitts. I'm really excited about that!
I heard that next week one of the community members is holding several sweat lodges or 'sweats' so I am really hoping to be able to go to one. I was also asked to join the church service tomorrow at 10am, I guess it's the beginning of advent. The minister is often in the staff room on my prep and he told me that he will do some of his sermon in English tomorrow, so it's a good day to go check it out. I'm also holding a pot luck tomorrow, and Bingo tonight. This is life in the North :P
It's time to go do my weekend clean up! New poll up!!
Way to go snowgirl, looking insane AND enjoying the winter...that's my girl.
ReplyDeleteYou keep SO busy! I'm proud of you.
And just out of curiosity, where are your Ninjas?