Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Mom :)

Some of you are lucky enough to know my Mom and one of my readers is also lucky enough to have her as her Mom! In honour of Mother's Day I want to tell you a little more about this amazing woman.

The story starts with my Mom and my Dad getting married in 1976. Mom was only 19 years old at this time and still figuring everything out. She and my Dad spent some years figuring out their lives together and on May 3, 1981 she became a Mom for the first time. Although I wasn't there, I have heard that it sure wasn't easy and took her a while to feel fully confident. But being a great Mom means loving your kids fully and unconditionally, so I know that she was a great Mom from the moment she found out she was pregnant with my sister, and then me later on.

Four years later, Mom and Dad decided they wanted another little bundle of joy (thankfully for me) and I was born August 23, 1985. I'm told that for the first two weeks I was a quiet little angel, and then I started crying and pretty much didn't stop till I was 16. I was a very difficult child but somehow my Mom always kept faith in me, that I would figure out my place in the world and learn to control my temper. Thankfully, with her many talks, hugs and reminders, I did. Thanks for that Mom.

The Lake family life was not always easy, with many financial difficulties over the years, conflicts between my sister and I (luckily we are BFFs now) and all the other challenges life brings you. We are so lucky we had a strong, sacrificing, caring, kind, forgiving, selfless Mother (and wife) to hold us together. Of course, she had some help...Shout out to my Dad, who worked his tail off to keep a roof over our heads and was there to kill any spider, fix any problem or give a big hug any time it was needed. I will tell you more about him on Father's Day though :)

Being a Mom is about the little things too, things I will never forget or stop being thankful for:

-Walking me to and from school every day (even when I was old enough to walk myself) because I wanted her to
-Making us lunches and snacks and muffins and eggs
-Always thinking of me when she was out shopping and buying me a little treat
-Reading to me every day
-Taking care of me when I was sick
-Seeing me through heartache and break ups, with love and no judgement
-Waiting hours at the park, the McDonald's play land and the pool while I played
-Helping me with my homework
-Never giving up on me
-Not believing me when I said I hated you. I was a little jerk!
-Missing me when I am gone and letting me know that I always have a room to come home to in our house

I can never explain my thanks for what you have done and continue to do for me Mom. I love you and hope I can be like you for my kids someday!

And here are a few of my favourite quotes about Moms:

A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. ~Tenneva Jordan

Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts forever. ~Author Unknown

When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty

And in closing, a picture of my Mom in my Snuggie :)

2 comments:

  1. Karen, your Mom is the best! I still have fond memories of sitting out on the balcony having chats with her. I really enjoyed that growing up. Plus she always kept the fridge stocked with carrots and italian dressing. BONUS.

    Happy Mothers day Bev!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, the memories, the appreciation, the love...my favorite youngest daughter knows how to tug at my heartstrings.
    Thank you Honey, I am the luckiest Mom in the world. Love you with my heart, Mom:)

    ReplyDelete