Another week...another weekend...more snow. This week was sobriety week so there were community events all week dedicated to educating about drug abuse and sobriety.
A Medicine Man who practices traditional forms of medicine came into the community and we had him guest speak in one of the high school classes. He was amazing and told us some really cool information. For instance, did you know mint was good for depression? Also lily pads are good for extracting boils, if you wrap it around the affected area. He gave each of us who were there different home medications to try. I got marshmellow root which, when made into tea and drank, helps with cold symptoms and chest congestion. I've yet to try it, thankfully. Don't need any colds for Christmas!
We also had a sobriety walk in a -26 blizzard. I have to give this community credit for being dedicated to a cause...even the grade 1s marched along without complaining too much. We got back to the Band Hall and had FEAST hosted by the community. Veggies, fruit, cheese and cracker platters, salads, spaghetti, burgers, hot dogs, cake, ice cream and banana bread! Needless to say I did not go home hungry. We then listened to the beautiful drumming and songs of a local drum group and watched some community members do a round dance. Round dance is where the people hold hands and move slowly in a circle around the drum group, making the circle smaller as they go. I have fallen in love with the drumming being up here, I know I'll miss it once I'm gone.
This weekend was also National Children's Day and I helped out with games for the little ones in the gym. I spent the afternoon spinning a skipping rope and the kids absolutely loved it. It was awesome to see the parents out and interacting with their kiddies.
If you keep up with my facebook, you'll know I have been sounding off about my trip to Jamaica that's booked for March break. I am going with a teacher from up here and the aforementioned friend Jen from earlier. We are staying in Montego Bay at the Royal Decameron Montego Beach All-Inclusive. I want to share two of the most awesome things I have learned about the hotel so far:
Awesome thing #1 is a swim up bar. This was an absolute must for me as anyone who gets out of the water to have their drink topped up in Jamaica is just a sucka.

Second, are none other than WATER TRAMPOLINES! Genius? I think so!

While I am looking forward to coming home for Christmas break in 26 DAYS! I just can't seem to stop dreaming about laying on the beach...
I think i'd better get to bed...Monday morning comes early :( Does anyone else totally screw themselves over by sleeping in every Sunday and then not being able to go to bed? Good times. Luckily the kids are usually more tired than me so they don't notice :o)
WATER TRAMPOLINES!?!?! I'm jealous.
ReplyDeleteYes yes.
ReplyDeleteI called there and they said anyone under 30 must be accompanied by their Mother. I'll see you on the plane.
ReplyDelete