Got up nice and early *grumbles* to straighten my hair, put on professional clothes, make-up..you know, to look like a real person. I get down to the conference room and apparently I did not get the memo that you can wear TRACK PANTS to this conference...so tomorrow I figure I'll just wear my jammies. So I eat some mediocre breakfast (but it was free!) and pick up my conference package including my name tag:
(Soooo official!)
And also picked up a free mug, crapload of pens, a binder, an agenda and notepad. I have to be honest, I was fairly excited about all of this. The conference was....conferency (read: long, relatively boring except when I got to interact with other teachers) but I did learn some and got a free lunch. FREE!
So, here comes THE MOST EXCITING PART OF THE DAY! where I got a random cheque for $221.40 to reimburse me for the food that the hotel provided us with anyways. I don't get it, but frankly I don't want to get it. So I took my cool $221.40 with me to walmart and along with other borrowed and pay advance money bought a crapload of stuff for up north. I also bought a bunch of food which gets flown up by a freight line.
So it was a very long day of running around, but I have managed to meet some really awesome people I will be working with. My boss (the principal at the school) is pretty much the nicest lady ever. She and her daughter drove me around the city, waited with me while I shopped and are driving me to drop off my freight tomorrow. I have also met the other high school teachers as well as some of the elementary and they seem like they will be both awesome to work with and hang out with during free time (I'm making it sound kinda like prison here..not intended!)
All in all it was a very good day, and I think I am even starting to look the part of teacher. I thought this so much so, that I took pictures of myself before I left this morning, because I thought I might look so frazzled in two weeks that all the professionalism would be gone ;) Also, I got a pretty good haircut.
Acting like a big person all day is tiring, so I am off to bed!
So... You know that because you said your going in your pjs tomorrow everyone else is going to be all dressed up. Only because you were today :P
ReplyDeleteSo glad your loving it! But your totes scare me... It reminds me of the current state of my basement! GAHHHH. Remind me next time my mother decides to move to another country NOT to take any of her things.
I can't wait to see what this town looks like I am very interested!
Also with the mile hile comment. I did a CO-OP in highschool with westjet at the Hamilton Airport. TRUST ME, it really does happen! I was on a flight from Hamilton to Ottawa ( back when they still flew to there and Montreal out of Hamilton) and we could hear them! How we missed them both going in is beyond me. Anyways the pilot radio'd in and had the police called. It wasn't pretty.
Hopefully tomorrows conference goes as well as it did today!
Miss Lake, I certainly did think about you all day and I'm sure you can imagine how impressed I am with free stuff, unexpected money AND my awesomely professional looking daughter....track pants, lol...
ReplyDeleteSo glad you're making friends already and the principal sounds amazing!
p.s. if you wear your jammies tomorrow make sure they aren't the ones with the hole in the ass.