Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

First of all, I wish a very Happy Father's Day, to all Dads, new and old!

Unfortunately, I didn't get to spend the day with my dad since I am in the Web. but we had a nice phone conversation and I will give him an extra big hug when I get home.

In honour of my Dad, I would like to tell you all something about him. He is one of the most giving, selfless and admirable people I know. There were times in my life when my family struggled very hard financially and I (in my bratty 12 year old way) would whine and complain that I needed $20 to go out. I had no way of knowing or understanding then, how much of a sacrifice that was for my parents, or how hard my Dad had to work for that money. But, it was never a big deal. I got to go on all the school trips, I always had clean clothes, lots of food in my tummy and fantastic birthdays and christmas days. My Dad's work ethic is one of the top things I admire about him. I always say how I will never work a day in my life, as hard as he has worked his whole life, to make a good life for myself, my sister and my Mom. For that I say thank you Dad. You taught me that I could be anything I wanted to be and that sometimes the people who have everything (materially) are actually missing out on the important things.

Here are some of those important things/memories:
-Always knowing that I had a father who would love and value me, no matter what...even when I was being really difficult.
-Getting all decked out in Hamilton Tiger Cat garb and going to the football games. I watched him and jumped up to yell at the appropriate times :)
-Going to garage sales and searching till I found the perfect new toy which he would then buy for me
-Coming home to little surprises (like a guinea pig!) that he knew I would love
-Great big, Dad-sized bear hugs when I was really sad. Almost nothing compares to those
-All those times you put something random on your head and danced around the living room to entertain us
-When you used to sit with me in the rocking chair while we listened to Roy Orbison when I was having a tantrum (odd how that became a really positive memory!)

I could probably go on forever, but I think I convinced anyone reading this that my Dad rocks! Thank your for having a heart of gold, the energy of an 18 year old and a damn good sense of humour about things. Love you Dad!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Honey, what a lovely tribute to your Dad.
    He hasn't seen it yet but will love it, you've really captured the essence of our hard working big fella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Honey, I love you too! Ti-cats lost to the Argos Sat., those f**ckers.

    ReplyDelete