Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Friday, June 3, 2011

Quirk 6

Webequie Quirk of the Day 6: Bannock Fridays.

I think I have mentioned bannock here before and anyone who has ever been to a Northern community could definitely tell you about it. It is a homemade bread that can be baked or fried and even made out in the wilderness.

It often looks like this:



If you are interested in how it's made, check out this site:
http://www.twobay.com/bannock.htm

Each friday someone from the community makes bannock and brings it into the school. There's usually raisin or plain. It is most often topped by Klik, which is basically Spam's little brother:


I would pretty much rather die than eat dripping meat from a can, but some people swear by it. There are also options of peanut butter and jam.

I will forever remember (and shiver with horror) the first time I saw someone eat what I call, a Webequie Big Mac.
It goes: Bannock-Jam-Klik-Peanut Butter-Bannock.
Just think about that for a minute...

I have no doubt there will be other interesting foods for me to try at staff gatherings in my future, but I'll miss the bannock!

No comments:

Post a Comment