Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Quirk 8

Webequie Quirk of the Day 8: Silent Children.

To go along with the Screaming Children post from yesterday, I thought I should mention the older, more silent children here in Web. As I'm sure you know from reading my blog so far, the high school students are very quiet, shy, or just simply refuse to speak to us on the grounds that we are teachers. There are definitely some exceptions to this rule and all of the kids are probably awesome people underneath, but most lack the basic desire to communicate with others.

It was part of the basic culture shock when I got here. For example, I can spend all day with a student in school, we can talk about assignments, have almost full (although painfully forced) conversations in the portable, and then they will pretend I don't exist when I see them outside of school. I get that it's like the equivalent of seeing your teacher at the mall down south...you duck and hide behind the closest giant floor plant/elderly slow-walking lady. But really. A simple "Hi, _________" could be acknowledged with a "Hi" or even a smile, or even a nod!!! What am I, a leper?

The most painful thing of all is that they grow from "HIIIIIIIIIII! JENNIFER'S FRIEND!!!!!!" adorable kids, to *Silent glare/diverting of eyes and hiding behind my bangs/hood/hat* teens. Oh teenagers.

No comments:

Post a Comment