Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Webequirk 21

Yesterday's Webequirk was: Giant (possibly mutant) Dragonflies

(Sorry for the late post, yesterday was a crazy day)

A quirk I was definitely not expecting was to wake up one day to hundreds, nay-perhaps thousands, of dragonflies having taken over the island. I'm not really complaining, since I think they keep mosquitoes or some other annoying pest away. It's just weird to see. And they are HUGE! They are definitely the biggest dragonflies I have ever seen. When you look up they are just swarming the skies like tons of tiny birds.

Here is a photo I snapped where you can see 3. They are hardly to capture..they're fast!
My colleague described how there were about 100 of them in one bush she walked past and they scared the crap out of her. While they are not scary on their own, 100 of any insect is pretty frightening!

I much prefer this to the GIANT flies and GIANT bees and GIANT spiders that I have been encountering both inside and outside my house. I am doing pretty well with the flies and spiders (squishy, squishy!) but when a giant bee makes it's way in my house I started speaking in high pitched tongues and run outside with the door open yelling IS IT OUT YET?! to who ever is in my house. So that's always fun.

1 comment:

  1. The dragonflies look as big as the hummingbird that once scared the crap out of your Mother;(

    ReplyDelete