Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Friday, June 10, 2011

Webequirk 13

Today's Webequirk: Ballsy kids.

As I may have mentioned before, there is very little discipline around here for the youth. As much as the teachers and school staff try, without a clear behaviour plan that is supported by all and followed through with, the can kids pretty much do whatever they want and get away with it.

A great example of this was shown today when a group of youngen's highjacked a canoe from right under me! Myself, a high school student and another teacher took out a canoe to the North point of the island. We left it on the shore to go into the woods to get a hot dog at the picnic. Walking on the way there we saw a group of kids walking in the opposite direction (towards our canoe) and even joked "I hope those kids don't steal our canoe" and then they totally did. We did make the obvious mistake of leaving our paddles in the canoe, but I think it takes some serious guts to steal a canoe from two teachers. I would not have even entertained that idea when I was in grade 6 or 7..or perhaps ever! We ended up walking back and got someone with a motor boat to go find it for us and bring it back. I am not sure which kids it was since the whole school was out and about, but not much would be done even if we could identify them.

A bunch of students were also caught huffing white out the other day. Their teacher reacted in fantastic way and appealed to their emotions while also making them learn about the affects of huffing. Nonetheless, the whole thing is terribly worrisome.

I feel like we need to send them to some sort of bootcamp run by Chuck Norris, Dog the Bounty Hunter and Dr. Phil. That'd learn em!

No comments:

Post a Comment