Stuck in the Middle (East) with You

Friday, September 17, 2010

5 by 5

Top 5 Things I Learned in 5 days of teaching:

1. The concept of time here is 30 minutes slower than what I have always known. Luckily for me, since I am always late, I am still early here!

2. You can and are expected to be as creative and flexible as you can with your plans. For example on Thursday afternoon we played baseball instead of learning poetry and today we watched movies. Next week at some point we will go on a canoe trip, whenever it's nice...sometime...maybe... What shocks me most is that no one gets stressed out over the lack of planning, something I am learning to come to terms with.

3. Everyone smokes. And they will get up, and randomly leave class without asking, to go have a smoke. I'm over it now. Usually they come back lol.

4. It is possible to plan and work on lessons, marking and prep every waking hour, and still not be fully prepared or organized.

5. I really really love the supply room. Notebooks, pens, highlighters, post-its galore. It is literally stationary heaven and I can use it all! Muhahahaha!

I found this quote online about teaching which I love and pretty much live by at the moment:

"The secret of teaching is to appear to have known all your life what you learned this afternoon." -Anonymous

So the first week has been a success and I had a celebratory nap this afternoon. This weekend will be full of lots of planning so I don't have to plan every night for the next day, it's far to exhausting.

Right now I'm kicking back and watching some Bedknobs and Broomsticks :)

Ps. Did anyone get the Buffy reference from my title of this post??

4 comments:

  1. I got the Buffy reference! yay!

    1. Slower pace = happytimes
    2. I don't know how I would handle the lack of planning.
    3. Everyone here smokes too, you can mark that down as one thing Webequie and Montreal have in common!
    4. Yep...I hear that.
    5. Office supplies are SO FUN.

    I like that quote, it definitely applies to librarianship as well, let me tell ya!

    ...but what's that got to do with my knob?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quote,also applies to parenting.
    Slow and steady wins the race, so you win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad things are getting better for you !! If you get through to just a few students, it will make it all worth it.

    Okay, the 5 by 5 reference. Uncle Mike and I are pretty sure it was an episode with Glory. Tell us more please !!!

    ReplyDelete