The day started off with me finding a Zellers in Thunder Bay to buy a coat (which I forgot to bring) because it's going down to 2 degrees with rain all week here. So after Zellers-ing which everyone who has ever shopped at zellers will recognize how fun that was, I checked out of the hotel and met up with my colleagues to go off to the airport. Thunder Bay airport was MUCH less confusing than Pearson:
We waited around at the airport for 3 hours because our flight was delayed due to mechanical issues. THEN they told us that there was really bad weather in Webequie, so we would fly out, try to land and if not we'd fly back to Thunder Bay. Luckily we landed or it would have been a looongg night. Not to mention the fact that there was no security whatsoever at the airport. Didn't walk through a scanner, get my bags checked, carried whatever onto the plane. I guess they figure anyone spending THAT much money to go on a plane is not doing it to blow it up.
The plane was tinnnyyy but kinda fun, not your average flying experience. I will post pics later when I have better working internet, takes waayy too long right now.
We stopped in two other communities before Webequie, Fort Hope where I almost took a job and Landsdowne House. Both were also very remote and not actually that far by plane, about 15 minutes away. When we arrived we were met by a bunch of people from the community who helped with our bags and drove us to our houses. I am situated in the middle of the housing complex I will now call 'Teacher Lane' because that's the only folks who live here. I can see the school out my window which is very good for when it is -60 out!
My house is small but pretty cute. It has two bedrooms, a laundry room, a scary furnace room that I will always keep closed, a living room/dining area, kitchen, bathroom and hallway nook. It is just one level which is good because basements scare me anyways lol. The radiator also makes a roaring noise which I will have to get used to so I am not constantly having small heart attacks.
I will post pics of my house when I have better working internet, right now it's not so good.
I have already had about 6 kids trying to bust down my door. They touched my hair and told me my house was surrounded by rats, then asked if they could eat my rice. Sounds like it's going to be an interesting year!
Here is a list of things I have noticed about Webequie in my short time here:
-It is very cold (already)
-Everyone seems to have a pick up truck and an ATV. I wish I had an ATV!
-Everyone here is very friendly
-It is more remote than I could have possibly imagined before arriving
-There are wild dogs everywhere, but they are nice and just want to be petted
-There are no street lights here, its a bit different to me but I am gonna go look at stars on the next clear night!
-The people who come up to work are truly pretty awesome people (and this is not stroking my ego, i mean the other teachers I have met)
-Kids everywhere are the same...silly and like to make trouble :P
I will post more tomorrow about my adventures. I have eaten my rice that I got off a co-worker and several purse sized packages of sugar that i stole from Mcdonald's before I left so I won't die of starvation :D
just glad your there safely...is your house really surrounded by rats or was that kid stuff??
ReplyDeleteHope you find your stuff tomorrow so you don't have to live on rice & sugar.
Keep us posted,
Love Mom.
No rats...just some silly billy kids
ReplyDeleteThey touched your hair? Hahahahahahaha, I remember WANTING to do that when I was young, but never did.
ReplyDeleteYou are free to touch my hair any time you wish ;)
ReplyDelete