Today's Webequirk is always having to smile and wear pants.
I am referring to the sometimes highly annoying reality that even barred up inside my own home, I am always a teacher. My doors can always be knocked on, my windows peered in, my phone called. All the kids know where to find the teachers at all times, and this is not only because they know where we live but also because there is no where else to go. So if you are not at the school, store, another teacher's house or outside, everyone knows you are inside your house hiding.
Most of the time I don't mind having the kids around and I find them very sweet. But everyone has their bad days. Sometimes I want to come home, not think about work or anything that might be happening around me, and here you just can't. There is always a kid to knock on your door or try to come in if you make the mistake of leaving it open for a minute. Sometimes I just want to be a lonely old grump inside and not smile. Not an option. I will be happy to be crabby in the summer and not have to fake it. Wow, I bet you all can't wait to see me in Hamilton :P
Another issue is when I'm at home, I like to comfortable. Many of the teachers know this very well, since they will drop by to find me sitting on my couch wearing my christmas pajama pants and no bra (because my bra is sitting beside me on the couch where I took it off and threw it as soon as I entered my house). Fuck bras. I wish it was the 1970's. It's also just awkward if a kid looks in your window and you are wandering around pantless, so alas, I have to always wear pants. I guess I will probably have to wear pants in Abu Dhabi if I want to make any friends, but at the very least I can close my blinds and lounge on a Saturday afternoon.
Other annoying things on the list of always remembering you are a teacher are: trying not to forget and swear in front of the kids outside school, resisting the urge to tell them to bugger off when you are going for a walk and they insist on following you, answering the door to them trying to come in because they are being bullied/are scared of the dogs/need to go to the bathroom/need a drink or are tired. They will use any trick in the book to get in. They are like gremlins. They look all cute but let 'em in and give them a snack after 12 and they will tear you apart.
I could never live there. Pants and bras are the enemy.
ReplyDelete