Today I held a yard sale to try to sell some of my clothing and household items since I can't send them home in advance (Yeah, Eff you Canada Post). I put up a few signs in the community and a notice on my teacher facebook that I'd have a yard sale 12-4pm. Now I think I have previously discussed Indian Time. This is a term coined by the community members themselves, so I'm not being an asshole, I swear. It is generally accepted that any time you post for an event, people will arrive at least 1 to 2 hours later. For example, a Bingo that starts at 8:00 pm SHARP will commence at about 10 or 10:30 if you're lucky. It's the breezy island life, don't ya know? Anyways, I assumed that most people would adhere to the rule of Indian Time and show up around 1, but not so! Apparently a yard sale that promises everything for $1 (in a place where there are no stores, mind you) is a BIG deal. I literally had a line up of 5 people on my door step at 11:35am.
All in all it was a good sale. I ended up making about $70 and getting rid of a bunch of unneeded stuff (ie. Giant sweaters, hats and winter boots). I'd look funny wearing those in the desert. I plan to hold a few more sales this coming week to try to clear out more stuff. Now I know though: Native people do NOT mess around when there are deals to be had! Much like Hamiltonians. I guess I may have more in common with this community than I thought!
Everything for a dollar!! I'll be right there!
ReplyDelete