Webequie Quirk of the Day 4
1950's style neighbours. I live on one street with all the teachers and since we see each other every day at work, the store, the woods, the field and inside our houses we have all become pretty comfortable with each other.
It is not uncommon to come home to a message like:
"Hey just calling to see if you have any __________" -flour, cooking oil, vinegar, nail clippers...
or
"Hey I'm just calling to see if you know where my dog is" -very common!
It warms my heart to know that we can depend on each other. I can't even count the number of times this year my friends have been there for me, and each other, when one has been sick, needed help, needed support, needed an ingredient or just needed to relax and laugh.
In all the other places I have lived, I have never had this experience with my neighbours (with the exception of residence and roommates in University..which is a unique experience itself). I feel like we are one of those neatly organized neighbourhoods in the 1950's. We are just missing the highly manicured lawns and the crisp aprons.
I know I will make new friends in Abu Dhabi and that some of them will likely be my neighbours, but I don't think I will find this kind of quirky neighbourly awesomeness anywhere else. I am going to really miss it.
***
Two weeks left of school and less than 4 till home!
I'm almost there!
One crisp apron on the way!
ReplyDelete(Just kidding, I would have made a TERRIBLE 50's housewife, all the neighbors would have gossiped about my lazy ass.)